- Did you know.....
- an estimated 25% of animals in shelters are purebreds?
- Between 3 - 4 million pets are euthanized in shelters each year?
- A cat can have 3 litters a year, and can produce 420,000 offspring in 6 years?
- People who surrender or abandon their pets are more likely to be young and uneducated? (read more...)
- Statistics from the Humane Society of the United States
- Statistics from the Jackson County Animal Shelter
- Number of animals euthanized in 2004: 214 (thru June 30th)
- Number of animals euthanized in 2003: 632
- Number of animals euthanized in 2002: 671
- Moving on: a frequently cited reason for abandoning an animal
- Night-time shelter drop off: why don't we have one? (Read, think about our hidden cameras, and remember: abandoning an animal anywhere is a criminal offense.
Behavior and Health Tips (from the Humane Society of the United States)
- General Pet Care Sheets
- Coping with Pet Allergies
- Crate Training -- a great way to housebreak your dog
- Housebreaking your puppy
- Guidelines for Finding a Responsible Home for your Pet
- What you should know about flea and tick products
- Temperament Testing: Picking a good shelter dog
- Other Dog Tip Sheets
- Declawing cats -- more than just a manicure
- Destructive scratching in cats
- Other Cat Tip Sheets
- Elective surgery on animals
- Want a specific breed? Learn about
- Humane Society of the U.S. - Our parent organization. This site is updated daily with news items about issues involving animals.
- Having trouble finding pet-friendly housing? Experiencing other pet-related housing difficulties? Visit www.rentwithpets.org.
- Pet-Tip.com - Links to hundreds of sites about pets -- from cats and dogs to turtles and ferrets.
- Apply for an Action for Animals Mastercard. They donate a portion of profits each month to the Animal Welfare Group of your choice (For ARF, use Organization Code 1694).
- Spay/Neuter Information and other statistics
- Breed Rescue sites
- Animal Welfare Section Inspection Reports
- Doginfomat - Good information for anyone who plans to get a dog.
- Dr.P's Dog Training - Does your pet have behavior problems? Want to find out how to train your puppy? Ask Dr. P.
- Breed Rescue sites
- Catman-2 is a private, limited admission, no-kill, cats-only shelter. Conceived and operated by Dr. Harold Sims, Catman-2 has placed over 650 cats for adoption in the past three years!
Jackson County Sites
- Jackson County Humane Society (ARF) - fosters many shelter animals.
- Jackson County Web Page - Lots of helpful links for area residents.
- Jackson County Chamber of Commerce.
- Volunteer Oportunities in Jackson County.